These are very simple safety tips that we all know but it never hurts to be reminded.
- When possible try to workout with a training partner. It will be more fun and safer.
- Consider carrying your cell phone in case of an emergency. The tune belt is ideal for this…. And quite fashionable. www.amazon.com/Tune-Belt-Sport-iPhone-Blackberry/dp/B000M51T12
- Be sure to tell someone or write down where you plan on walking/running and when you expect to return.
- Consider carrying a form of ID with emergency contact info and any allergies you may have. Road ID has great products. www.roadid.com
- Avoid wearing headphones. The more alert and aware you are of your environment, the less vulnerable you are. The Tune belt mentioned above is great for carrying an iPOD with a speaker.
- Avoid unpopulated areas, lonely trails and poorly lit areas.
- Vary your route and/or time of day that you train.
- Run/Walk against traffic.
- Avoid getting close to cars asking for directions or the time of day.
- Wear reflective material so motorists can spot you more easily.
- Be conscious of weather conditions. Do your best to coordinate your workout around the weather even if it means getting up early. Carry water, drink early and often, and listen to your body. Heat does funny things so give your self permission to slow down.